For each quilt block cut:
Make 2 half square triangles using the 3" squares.
- Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of each background square.
- Stack the background square on top of the print square, right sides together.
- Stitch 1/4" on each side of the diagonal line.
- Cut on the diagonal line.
- Open blocks and press seams open.
- Trim each HST block to 2.5" square.
The blocks for the top of the heart are made using the same method to make flying geese.
Place one 1.5" background square on top of one 2.5" print square as shown in the diagram. Stitch along the diagonal as shown in the diagram. Trim the outer triangle cutting 1/4" away from the stitching line.
Press seams open.
Repeat process on the other corner.
Repeat so you have 2 cute little house-like blocks. Sew the two little house blocks together to make the top of the heart. Sew the two half square triangles together to make the bottom of the heart. Press seams open.
Sew the top of the heart to the bottom of the heart. Press seams open.
To make a scrappy 4-patch heart, cut enough for 2 blocks so you can swap pieces between your blocks.
Thank you! That block is too cute!ReplyDelete
Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial with us!ReplyDelete