The "chives" marker in action. (I realize this plant is not chives. It's my green pepper plant, but it's the only prop I had.)
I did not take any pictures of the process since that usually ensures the project will be a disaster. I'll include step-by-step instructions (minus pics) of what I did which may or may not be helpful.
- Separate the polymer clay into the four premarked pieces. Knead each piece until soft then roll it out into a long strip that is approximately 5 inches long, 1-1/2 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. (You can also use a pasta machine which I have since purchased since polymer clay may be my new addiction.) I was able to make five markers from my pack of clay--one marker from each section and an additional marker from the scraps plus I still have some leftover.
- Using a knife, I cut my marker shapes freehand. The finished sizes ranges from 4-1/4 to 5 inches long and 1 to 1-1/4 inches wide. I made my markers wider at the top and tapered them down at the bottom.
- I took a piece of 100 grit sand paper and gently rolled in on top of each marker for added texture. (I didn't think this did much until I added the paint in step 7).
- Using a small alphabet rubber stamp set, stamp the desired name on each marker. I made oregano, basil, cilantro, rosemary and chives. Hopefully this is what my mom is planting this year. (I purchased my stamp set for $1 at Michaels a few years ago. I'm not sure if they still sell those?)
- I also used some other decorative rubber stamps to make the swirls around the edges of the markers.
- Carefully place the markers on a foil-covered cookie sheet and bake according to the manufacturer's directions on the polymer clay package. I used Sculpey III and baked my markers at 275 degrees F for 20 minutes. (Even after cooling completely, they are still pretty flexible but I think they'll be okay. For my set, I purchased some clearance Sculpey Premo so we'll see if it hardens more.)
- After they have cooled completely, use a stiff-bristled brush to apply acrylic paint to the markers then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. This will make the letters and stamping stand out as well as the texture from the sandpaper. I used Folk Art Metallic Champagne.
- After the paint dried, I used a cotton ball to add a little Tim Holtz Walnut Distress Ink. Because distress ink makes everything better. Really.
- After the ink is dry, add a coat of clear acrylic spray. I used Valspar American Tradition ultra clear satin since it's the first can I pulled out of the closet.
I really like this idea. Thank You. Found you and am a new follower.ReplyDelete
Love it! I have shamelessly been using the dumb little name markers that come with the plants. Despicable. These are awesome! THanks for linking up with DIY under $5!ReplyDelete
Great idea and I love using polymer clay!ReplyDelete
I can't wait to try this. I have a pretty big herb garden and when I send the kids out to snip a few herbs for dinner we go through a long discussion of which herb is which. :-) Thanks for the great post!ReplyDelete
It‘s so nice that I found your blog about your link at CSI. Of course I’ve scrolled a little and like what I see. Now I’m your new follower! ;)ReplyDelete
I found your post via the CSI project. Congrats on your win!ReplyDelete
I like to do crafts with my niece and I think this one would be fun. Thanks for the inspiration.
Can't wait to try these! I actually have everything I need to do it -- thanks for the great step-by-step tutorial and suggestions! They are lovely!ReplyDelete
I love the labels you made, they are looking beautiful. But i think, might be they will destroy after some time. Use more attractive metal plant labels in your garden which is long lasting, weatherproof plant labels.ReplyDelete
Though i have used most of wood and metal markers but i loved your idea. I will use this idea in my next garden design. Thanks for sharing :)ReplyDelete